Here are my tips to keep you looking sharp for Fall:
1. Try some color. Just like the leaves on the trees, Fall’s colors are more muted but richer and great for mixing and matching. If you use the natural world as your guide you can’t go wrong. Keep things tonally the same and you can combine lots of colors, like wearing our Hunter Brushed Twill pants with our Brown Concord Cotton Crewneck.
2. Layer up. The weather can change on a dime. It can be cool in the morning and warm by midday. A shirt, a light sweater and a lightweight coat or blazer is the perfect fall combo. Top it off with a lightweight scarf to combat the morning chill and you’ll look pulled together and sharp.
3. The lace up boot. There are some great shoe makers making terrific ankle boots in leather and suede. We love Oak Street Bootmakers and Helm. We also love the classic Clark Desert Boot. They now come in a terrific array of colors and are relatively inexpensive, so you can pick up a new pair every year. I keep coming back to these year in and year out.
4. Be prepared. it can be dark and chilly all of sudden leaving the office at 5 or 6. Always have a pair of gloves in your bag just in case. These half-knit leather gloves from Club Monaco give your preppie side a little bit of rock.
5. Get a good, simple hat. It will be hat weather sooner than you think. A good hat, gloves and a dashing scarf can keep that Tribeca Field Jacket working well into December. We love a plain cashmere knit cap or a wool baseball type cap in grey or navy. Sporty and practical. Adult but cool. Treat yourself to this Fisherman Ribbed Cashmere Beanie hat from Burberry.
6. Break out the cords and twills. Cords are not really warmer but something about the texture makes them feel like they are. And it’s that texture that gives your outfit visual interest and sophistication. Either in the five-pocket version (ours are coming soon) or the classic trouser style, you can pair them up with a plaid flannel shirt and classic leather belt and you’ll look (and feel) comfortable and sophisticated.